Undergraduate college: 20-40th Ranked Liberal Arts
Undergraduate Area of study: Physical Sciences
Institution: Top 5 in Chemistry
Area of Study: Physical Sciences
Degree Obtained: PhD
Total MCAT SCORE: 523
MCAT Section Scores:
Overall GPA: 3.80
Science GPA: 3.80
Summary of Application Experience
2015 MCAT score was 522 (38?) Took the MCAT in 2010 after my sophomore year and got a 34.
Made this for future people applying to medical school after their PhDs. Most of my volunteering was done many years before I applied (due to time demands of PhD) and I was concerned this would limit my chances.
I selected schools mostly based on where my wife can also go to graduate school.
I would summarize my undergraduate ECs as great for non-clinical and research and decent/average for clinical volunteering.
1. EMT-B for all 4 years of college. Volunteered with an ambulance company that responded 911 but was never professionally trained. Did a lot of work with campus student-lead EMS organization. Spent 1 year on their leadership team.
2. Peer Health Exchange for 2 years. Taught mental health workshop to high school students once a week.
3. Small amount of hospital volunteering (~120 hours) summer after my freshman year and shadowed one doctor during college and one doctor during graduate school (total about 30 hours). Did a lot more of these things after submitting my app and added them in updates in the winter.
4. Worked with a scientific education outreach program during graduate school for 2 years. About 8 meetings each year with middle school classes from local schools. Taught them why itâ€™s cool to be a scientist.
1. PhD in organic chemistry. My work was tangentially related to medicine so it was pretty easy to tell the story in essays and interviews. Worked for â€œfamousâ€ chemist but not one any MD interviewer would have/had heard of. 2 2nd author papers and 1 1st author paper (wasnâ€™t published yet when I submitted primary unfortunately) + a 1st author mini-review.
2. Undergraduate researcher in organometallic catalysis lab for 3 school years and 3 summers. 1 2nd author paper after graduation.
3. NSF Predoctoral graduate research fellowship
1. RA my junior and senior years of college. This was a pretty big time commitment at my school. (10 hours/week)
2. Tutor at on campus tutoring center for undergraduates during junior and senior year. (10 hours/week)